Friday, 26 October 2012

666 Charing Cross Road by Paul Magrs

I love books related to London. I love all things supernatural. And I love ancient old books. This novel already had me hooked and I hadn’t even opened it yet.

It tells of museum artist Shelley who unveils a strangely life-like exhibit in the form of Scottish bride effigy Bessie. Meanwhile her book fanati aunt Liza becomes obsessed with an antique bookstore at 666 Charing Cross Road and is sent an old grimoire. Shelley’s selfish boyfriend and boss Daniel gets his hands on said grimoire and releases vampiric evil into New York. Shelley, Liza and Bessie have to work together to save their friends, their cities and quite possibly the world.

 I found the character of Shelley quite pathetic and weak but for all her misgivings I adored her aunt Liza. I love her elderly I-don’t-give-a-sh*t attitude and the fact she had a bit of a supernatural back story. The action plays between New York and London, both individual and unique cities. After reading this I was tempted to go scouting for 666 on Charing Cross Road even though I know it doesn't exist. Anything for an adventure! The story is fast paced with a good balance of Tim Burton-esque occultism, camp characters and engaging story. The end will leave you wanting more.

No comments:

Post a Comment