Friday, 9 November 2012

Grimm Tales by Philip Pullman

Fairytales, folktales and mythology are my favourite genres within the infinite realm of the written word. I’ve grown up with fairytales and have loved them since as far back I can recall. For instance, I can remember devouring fairytales and cultural folktales from my primary school library, then retelling them to my sister at night at bedtime. For me, fairytales are timeless, often conveying a simple truth or fable in a beautiful elegant way, as they are retold throughout generations.

 I already have a small collection of fairytale books (see below!) and even some fairytale apps on my phone, but I was very excited to get my copy of Philip Pullman’s Grimm Tales.

 In this collection are assembled fifty stories collated by the Brothers Grimm and retold by Philip Pullman who stays quite true to the original tales. There are the standard renowned tales including Snow White, Hansel and Gretel, and Cinderella. There are also many lesser known but equally captivating narratives such as Thousandfurs, The Goose Girl and The Nixie of the Millpond.

I couldn’t possibly pick a favourite as I enjoy all tales of this kind. Some are familiar childhood friends. Others are new and enchanting. This book is perfect for young and old readers alike who appreciate classic storytelling at its best.

No comments:

Post a Comment