Friday, 22 February 2013

You Had Me at Hello by Mhairi McFarlane


At face value I took this book to be another “will-they-won’t-they-get-together-in-the-end” tale, but I’d been hearing good things so I thought I’d give it a go. There is a will-they-won’t-they scenario but it is so much fun to read. 

Ben and Rachel were best friends at University but lose touch after their studies. Fast forward a decade or so later, where Rachel has just split up with her fiancée, lost her home and is fed up at her job as a court reporter. Enter Ben, who moves back to the area, married, good job as a lawyer and as good looking as ever. Their reunion is littered with trips down memory lane, interference from friends and family, and unresolved issues wrapped together in a great story. 

I think what made this novel for me was how witty it was. Ben and Rachel’s inside jokes, Rachel’s varied friends and her general scatty ways all had me giggling like crazy! The scenes of their time at University also had me reminiscing about my own Uni days, which made this book even more fun for me. 

I thought this story had touches of Bridget Jones, in the sense of singledom vs coupledom which can be a subject that divides people in debates, especially regarding women, and I think this story was a humorous exploration of this. Overall, I thought this was more than just a romance, chick-lit story; it is skilfully written with plenty of sass and wit that makes for an entertaining read about lost love and reunions.  

No comments:

Post a Comment