Friday, 29 March 2013

The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly


Right from the start I would like to say that this is one of my favourite books of all time. It makes me smile, it makes me cry and it gives me shivers. It’s no secret that I am a little obsessed with fairytales, and I think the re-workings of some well known fairytales in this book are some of the most imaginative I've come across so far. 

The story tells of twelve year old David, who is mourning the loss of his mother and is incredibly lonely after his father moves him into a new house with his new wife and baby son. With his father often absent at work, and with any excuse not to be near his unwanted stepmother and half brother, David finds solace in his books, which have now started to whisper to him. 

Then, following his dead mother’s voice down into the sunken garden, David is transported to a terrifyingly real world, inhabited by characters and creatures from the stories and myths from his books. This new world is dangerous and David must use all his wits to avoid the perils and find his way back home. 

I loved that there were stories within the stories, and all were filled with fantastical versions of fairytale characters. I particularly liked the sinister Crooked Man who skulks between the pages, stalking David between worlds and making mischief. The Book of Lost Things is an enchanting adventure; action packed and bloody at times, but heart warming and hopeful as well. I wholeheartedly recommend this dazzling novel to anyone who has yet to read it and especially to fairytale enthusiasts like me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment