Wednesday, 10 July 2013

The State We're In by Adele Parks

I have to admit that I'm rather late to the party in terms of reading Adele Parks. I read Whatever It Takes before I went to the Glamour Book Club Live and really enjoyed it; I actually can’t believe I haven’t read her sooner! This book has been hailed as her greatest yet and then after meeting the fabulous woman herself I couldn't not get involved. 

The State We’re In is the story of two complete strangers who happen to sit next to each other on a plane. Hopeless romantic Jo Russell always seems to fall for the wrong guy, and as everyone around her settles down into marriage and parenthood, she decides to take drastic action for the sake of her own happily-ever-after. 

Dean Taylor seems to have it all; disarming good looks, charms, a high flying career, and yet he has his own personal demons that keep him getting to close to others. 

Their interlinking stories take us on a moving journey of love and life that is skilfully written in Adele Parks’ truthful and engaging style. The rumours were certainly true about Dean; he’s one of those hot fantasy characters that is easy to fall for and I loved his interactions with Jo. I liked how the story was told from a number of viewpoints; it left you hanging at the right moments as the character changed and kept you turning pages. 

I won’t say any more because I don’t want to give too much away (#keepthesecret) but I really can’t praise this book enough. This is a must read for newbie Adele readers and hardcore Parks fans alike. Funny, heartfelt and thought provoking, this is a fantastic novel and Adele Parks is fast becoming one of my favourite authors. 

No comments:

Post a Comment