Thursday, 15 January 2015

The Wrong Knickers by Bryony Gordon

As soon as I heard the premise of this book, I knew I would love it! This book speaks to me on so many levels. As a single female in London in her mid-twenties, I too didn’t picture my life the way it actually is now. 

How many of us have great expectations for ourselves but the reality of getting there is so different to how we perceived? I know both my sister and I fit into this category and Bryony Gordon illustrates this issue brilliantly.

The Wrong Knickers explores the trials and tribulations of leaving home, getting a job, sex and relationships - all the elements and responsibilities of being an adult that never seem to go according to plan.

I always think authors that expose so much in their writing for public consumption are really quite brave, so I take my hat off to Ms Gordon for this brilliant book.

I know loads of comparisons have already been made with Bridget Jones but it kind of fits so I’m going to have to pinch it. The Wrong Knickers is like a more modern B-Jones, but much more relatable (I suppose because it is true). As much as I could relate, there are a lot of things new to me (such as the drugs and the not-so-great ability with money) and I learnt quite a lot of things. 

One such thing I have now added to my internal list of terms is that of “snog nurse” whereby you basically kiss someone you feel a bit sorry for, giving you both an ego boost. I don’t know about you, but I have previous in this unpaid profession and lol’d at this part of the book! I also loved the notion that Beyoncé is an essence and I’ve definitely channelled my inner Beyoncé in times of need!

Bryony Gordon’s decade of chaos highlighted a lot of things for me and I like that she got her happy ending (or beginning if you look at it even more positively) so it does leave you hopeful that eventually, one way or another, things will fall into place for the better. 

I highly recommend to everyone across the land whose lives haven't gone quite as according to plan as it is a genuinely enjoyable read. The Wrong Knickers is funny, cringe-worthy at times, entertaining and real, and is a great addition to any woman’s (or man's if the themes apply) non-fiction arsenal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment