Skip to main content

Nadine Dorries Guest Post - Ruby Flynn Blog Tour

Today I am very excited to be on the Ruby Flynn Blog Tour. Ruby Flynn is the stunning new family saga from bestselling author Nadine Dorries herself and in her guest post below, she tells about her writing process and her muse!

*

When I was asked to write a blog about how I plot and plan a book, I almost fell of my chair laughing. I have no idea what is going to appear on the next page, never mind in the next book. ‘You have a muse,’ someone said. I had absolutely no idea what a muse was. I read recently that another author, one of some repute and standing whose name escapes me, had written some advice for would be authors and it was this; sit at your desk every day, just in case the muse pops by. Those words have stuck in my head and comfort me. So, it isn’t just me then who panics about what is happening next.

I think I must infuriate my muse. She has never let me down, always pops by, usually between six and eight am every morning when I am still in bed. Not for her the conventional desk or office. If I leave the bedroom without having written a thousand words, I am like a smoker who has run out of fags. I twitch, I shout and I feel dreadful all day. It’s not helped by the fact that those morning hours are all I have to spend writing, due to the fact that I have a demanding day job. It is knowing that I cannot return to my characters until the following early morning which is the most frustrating, and so I carry a notebook in my bag for those flashes that come from nowhere. An idea, a line, an ending to a chapter or an interesting name to use at sometime in the future.

There are times when I envy those authors who write for a living. Who have the opportunity to immerse themselves totally in their work. To live with their characters for as long as they want them to stick around. But the fact is, I love my day job and could never give it up and I am so lucky to serve and to meet the most interesting people. From Prime Ministers and Presidents, to young mums and pensioners. It has to be the day job that feeds my soul and provides my inspiration and the reason why the muse drops by. 

*

The gorgeous novel Ruby Flynn is out now. Early next year Nadine Dorries is launching her new website with a 6-weekly magazine - you can already sign up for free at nadinedorries.co.uk


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Roald Dahl Books

“The success of a short story is simple, it must have a beginning, a middle and an end. The reader must never want to put it down.” – Roald Dahl


Roald Dahl was a huge part of my childhood reading. My sister and I had most of his books, from his single stories, picture and rhyming books and even a short story anthology. There was something magic about his way of storytelling that was the perfect mix of entertainment and genuinely engaging storyline. And of course who could forget the iconic illustrations by Quentin Blake!
One winning formula that I loved with a lot of his stories was the wily nature of the hero of the tale who would use cunning and brains in quite a humorous way to overcome their situation. For example in George’s Marvellous Medicine, my favourite part was always when George mixes his most foulest mixture of medicine to administer to his awful grandmother. And in Fantastic Mr Fox when he pulls of his amazing heist is another classic moment. 
There is usually quite a cl…

Goosebumps by R.L. Stine

Halloween is fast approaching. Pumpkins are appearing in shops, costumes are on sale and everyone bookish is discussing their favourite scary reads. With an abundance of skulls and spiders, ghosts and ghouls everywhere, it got me thinking about my own experiences of Halloween and relevant reads. 
Nothing to me, reminds me of Halloween in book terms than the Goosebumps books by American author R.L. Stine. They were a huge part of my literary childhood; my sister and I loved the spine tingling tales and collected many of the books. We had stand alone novels, the 3-in-1 collection books, Goosebumps 2000 series, and even a hardback Goosebumps book that wailed when you opened the cover! 
Since the release of the first novel, Welcome to Dead House in July 1992, the books gained immense popularity and commercial success worldwide. As of 2008, the series sold over 350 million books worldwide in 35 languages and has been listed on many bestseller lists, including the New York Times Best Selle…

The Salt Marsh - Prologue

It's my spot on The Salt Marsh blog tour today so below is the prologue from the novel by Clare Carson. Enjoy!
Monday 1 May 1978
Jim did his vanishing act the day of the spring fair. Sam was sitting in her room reading, the last of the apple blossom drifting past her window, Jim and the dog downstairs, her mother Liz and her sisters visiting the new baby of one of Liz’s old friends. Liz often went out on the days that Jim was at home. Her mother’s departure had been preceded by an argument. Sam had half heard Liz shouting, Jim shouting back, but hadn’t taken much notice because she had her head stuck in a book and, anyway, they always argued these days. Liz laughed, and that did catch Sam’s attention because there was something manic about the cackle. She clocked Liz yelling, ‘So if I want to know where you are, I’m supposed to call the fucking Home Secretary, am I?’ The front door crunched. Sam was glad to hide in her room, curled up on her beanbag with her book. As she read, s…